Creating custom CRM system for a business enterprise
It is hard to contemplate effective management of large companies without the use of a CRM system. Modern market suggests a number of CRM solutions adaptable to different sectors and business sizes. Why is it then so important to go with a CRM built individually for your company?
There are many ready-made CRM systems to automate processes within different sized companies. One of the most popular systems during 2017 was SalesForce. Available in over 20 configurations, there are solutions for banks, hospitals, sales automation etc. Despite the rich functionality of this system, large customers of SalesForce use several solutions to meet the needs of their company. Aston Martin, for example, uses four products: Sales Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Salesforce1 Mobile App and Chatter. Furthermore, only the operation of the Sales Cloud for enterprise client costs $160- $320 per user per month.
Why you should go with building a custom CRM
High-quality ready-made CRM solutions are expensive, and most often your company does not need the entire set of functions provided. The cost of creating custom CRM is also significant. However, in case of individual development, you pay for the functions necessary for your company only. Plus, employees do not have to spend a lot of time learning the product, because CRM will initially be created for a workflow already established in the company.
For example, when creating aCRM system for a consulting company, we designed a solution in which not only the functionality, but also the structure, the names of the sections, and workflow were adjusted to the specifics of the customer's work. We took into account that in the service interface, numbers and small signatures are often used, so the choice of font was determined by readability of small text. We also added time management capabilities, as well as travel expense module and reminders for the calendar. By client request we also built acquisition management module for easier work with new and possible recruits, and extensive log facilities.
What to consider when building a CRM system
Time is money. Employees should not waste their time looking for the right section or information, and important documents should be at hand. CRM users should also be comfortable creating reports, communicating with each other and with customers directly in the system.
"CRM should have a friendly interface, be accessible from any device and provide opportunities for reporting." - Susan Connor, president and manager of CRM strategies, SquareBlue Consulting.
Depending on the size and specifics of the business, functions of the CRM system and the set of technologies with which it will be implemented will vary. Creating a CRM for a consulting company, we chose a modern, reliable Laravel framework.
Your future CRM system should be flexible enough to allow you to change the settings for a specific process. Also, it is worthwhile to think in advance of the scalability of the system so that it can grow with your company, so you will not have to implement another solution within a couple of years.
"Perfect CRM is intuitive, yet flexible enough to allow easy management of leads and automation of work with each client." - Kenny Klein, Managing Partner of JAKK Solutions.
In addition to the analytical tools embedded in your future CRM system, you should also consider connecting external resources. For example, integrating with telephony, messengers, accounting software, mail, etc.
CRM solutions store important data, such as: customer databases, transaction information, reports, employee productivity, etc. The CRM system must be designed so that the data is protected from outside interference. It is also worth taking care of the access levels for different groups of employees.
Defining goals and objectives of CRM system
Perhaps the main goal of implementing CRM is to attract new customers and optimize work processes within the company. Tasks can vary, depending on the industry. Below is a list of the most common tasks a CRM must be able to perform:
- Tracking leads and their activity;
- maintenance of the customer base;
- optimization of work with clients;
- organization of business operations;
- management of relationships within teams;
- following results of employees work;
- optimization of joint work of different departments;
- increase in labor productivity.
A careful analysis of goals and objectives, as well as prioritization, will help design a CRM system with the optimal set of functions.
Setting MVP for CRM
The scope of the CRM system can be divided into two sections:
1. Interaction with customers
Basically, this includes telephone calls, email correspondence, newsletters and meetings. The first three tasks need to be automated to form a history of relationships with customers. The minimum set of functions for this field are;
- integration with telephony, e-mail and sms services
- base of customers, addresses, phones with a convenient filter
- the ability to track customer relationships
- the ability to generate reports on working with customers
- calendar with built-in notifications, for entering information on future meetings
2. Interaction between employees
CRM system should provide employees with the opportunity to allocate working hours and plan future workloads. Also, the manager should be able to control the workload and efficiency of subordinates. Consequently, the minimum set of functions for this field are;
- Access levels for different categories of employees
- calendar with built-in notifications so that the manager can notify the news of subordinates
- the possibility of setting and controlling tasks
- the ability to attach files to a task
- communication within a task
- Readiness of the task and its priorities
- generating reports for downloading
- Depending on the specifics and size of the business, you may need many more opportunities.
- Creation of the CRM system that will help automate the work of the company and bring the business to a new level will require significant financial and time costs. However, the result is payback in a relatively short time - statistics show that the introduction of CRM improves sales efficiency up dramatically.
You can also see our case study about building a CRM system for a consulting company here:https://goo.gl/am49MD
Thank you for taking your time to read this article, Vlad Manin andFlexi IT.